Thursday, April 26, 2012

Aquatica 5D Mark ii 2nd wreck dive

Today I went and dove on the Duane in Key Largo.  I charge all my batteries and lubed all the o-rings got all the tanks filled. I take a nice ride out with Horizon Divers and plan to do one long dive on the Duane. We plan on penetrating to the engine room and hopefully I get to finally do a little video. As I make the descent I position my strobes and lights to a general location. I fire off a couple of shots to get the settings for today. I think to myself that these strobes don't seem to be putting out much power today.
I stick my hand in front of them and test fire another shot. Nothing! I'm an idiot. I must not have connected the hot shoe cable. I decide I have enough light to shoot stills and video inside the wreck and press on.
As the reel man ties his line I try the video button again and once again I get nothing. To make matters worse the button to change back from live view isn't responding at all. Great! now I'm stuck in live view which limits a lot of the cameras ability for stills. Well I manage to get it out of live view by trying a bunch of different buttons.
I complete the dive and manage to get a couple of nice shots from the Duane. I do have to say my frustration with this housing are building.
When I get home I dry my housing and check the camera and I am surprised to find that my hot shoe cable is connected. I disconnect and reconnect and fire a couple dry shots and the strobes work. So now I have a new complaint for the top of the line housing I have purchased. The video button still doesn't work. nothing new there. now I realized the hot shoe cable is a super sensitive little guy and doesn't work when he doesn't want to. Pretty Lame!
To put a little icing on the cake Aquatica asked me to "like" their Facebook page. Like I would after this housing. I did leave a comment on their page stating my problem and asked how I should fix it. They responded by saying it's inappropriate to mention their problems on Facebook and I should email them directly. I guess it's inappropriate to let others know Aquatica isn't that good of a company and their products have major defects. Who knew?
I know I seem to write a lot of negatives about this housing, and I feel justified after what I paid to expect it to work, but I still like it and it's the best housing I've used so far.
Here are the shots from today...










No comments:

Post a Comment